Sunday, April 21, 2013

Mosaic Rock Fault

Erin Freriks
4/21/13
Mosaic Rock Faults

Materials used:
Rocks from neighborhood, school, driveway etc
Paint
Glitter
Card Board (recycled)
Turbo Tacky Glue

Any resources that helped inspire this project:
Rocky Mosaic, lake Mcdonald water rocks, glacier national park, montana Stock Photo - 10877201

List the subject that your lesson ties in with:
Science- specifically geology

Step-by-step with text and photos:
 1.)First I cut out a piece of cardboard
2.) I then decided where the fault line should be and made that with the black rocks. I used Turbo Tacky Glue to keep the rocks down.
3.) I then began to fill in the spaces with different designs and colors of rocks.
3.) I tried different designs like lines, circles and layers to complete the piece.

Extra tips for problem-solving:
Using a piece of cardboard with a crease in it made it hard for me to transport when it was drying.
Also, I had spray tacky glue on hand and decided to try and see if it would work and it was a no go. I decided to be safe with the turbo but I am sure now that regular Tacky Glue would have been fine too.
Lastly, I suggest having the kids draw out how they want the designs to be places because I went without a plan and I think it could have been better.

Art Vocabulary:
Direction applies to this because as the rocks build on each other they create lines that show the direction they are layered and how they move across the cardboard
Texture applies because it is not paper, one could actually look at the piece and see that it has texture and feel the texture of the rocks.
Repetition also applies because since we are using the same rocks they are repeating but each rock is a little different which makes it interesting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment